- 2 Arctic Char fillets
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 t birch syrup
- 1/2 t toasted sesame oil
- Coarse ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 T wild game or animal fat, or as needed
- 1 T butter
- 1 clove garlic (crushed or minced)
- Add animal fat to preheated skillet on medium-high heat. Add scaled fish fillets (or deskinned if you prefer), skin side down to the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to fry until bottom edges start to caramelize. Add butter or more oil as needed.
- Mix soy sauce, birch syrup, sesame oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the fish and swirl pan to distribute the sauce.
- Cover with lid and allow the fish to cook in steam and sauce until both fillets are cooked through. (Approximately 4 mins total.) Do not overcook! If you like both sides of your fillets browned, flip them over before you add the sauce, being careful to keep them intact.
- Serve hot with your favourite steamed rice recipe. Drizzle sauce from pan over the fillets.
Chef’s notes: Birch syrup can be purchased from any specialty store or online.