The Northwest Territories government has signed off on the Ekati mine’s Jay Pipe expansion that could help keep Ekati producing diamonds until 2033. The project approval includes conditions to minimize its impact on the environment, such as:
- improving the design and use of the roads to minimize impacts to caribou;
- minimizing dust from road use;
- funding an elders group to advise on the construction, operation and monitoring of the Jay road;
- ensuring clean surface waters at the Jay and Misery pits so the area can be used for aboriginal traditional uses after the Jay Project closes; and
- preventing impacts to the Narrows.
Dominion Diamond hopes to start mining the Jay pit in 2021.