A filled bun with the flavours of your favorite burgers from the local skating rink! Can be frozen and heated in microwave.
FOR THE BUN DOUGH:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp fast rising yeast
1 egg, beaten
3 to 4 cups flour
FOR THE FILLING:
1 lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped fine
1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled or equivalent precooked bacon crumbles 1 cup old cheddar cheese
1/2 cup ketchup
4 tbsp mustard
3 tbsp sweet relish
2 finely chopped dill pickles
(Or add any of your favourite burger condiments.)
FOR THE TOPPING:
Everything Bagel seasoning or sesame seeds
Mix first 5 ingredients of bun dough. Add beaten egg. Mix in flour & knead. Add the last cup, as necessary. Dough should be slightly sticky.
Place in a greased bowl and cover lightly with plastic wrap or a clean towel (cover for every rise).
Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down. Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down. Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down.
During dough rise times:
- Brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Cool slightly. • Mix in remaining filling ingredients.
- Divide dough into 12 (should be approximately 3 oz per piece).
- Flatten dough into a 3 to 4-inch circle. Place approximately 4 to 5 tbsp filling on each round (divide filling into 12). Pinch dough closed around filling, being careful to not get filling on the edges so a good seal is made. Turn over and place seam side down on a parchment lined cookie sheet. 6 buns will fit on a standard cookie sheet.
- Let rise 1 hour (covered).
- Beat egg and brush the tops of the buns evenly with it. Sprinkle with bagel seasoning or sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°. Recipe submitted by the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation.